About Joy Matthews
I grew up in the rolling hills of Lancashire’s ‘Ribble Valley’ – you’ll probably notice a slight Northern twang! After my degree I worked in London for 16 years as a Recruiting/HR Manager. However, in 2014, I was lucky enough to be able to change my career completely and follow my real passion – dogs! Now I help other people train their dogs so they have a dog who’s beeeautifully behaved and welcomed anywhere; a dog they feel proud of.
For the love of dog!
My fascination with dogs started with “Boozie”, my first Border Collie (shown top left), and continues with my current dog “Gerry” (top right). Both dogs have huge hearts and will always have a very special place in mine. So I understand exactly how important your dog is to you.
Helping you learn to ‘talk dog’!
Dogs don’t come with instructions, they don’t even speak our language. But they are intelligent, willing partners – if we give them clear, consistent messages. Like any partnership, dog training requires understanding and effective communication. My job is to help you ‘talk dog’ so that training your dog becomes a joy.
You’ll love the results …
Let’s face it – we learn best when we enjoy what we do! So, to ensure you and your dog enjoy training together, I use positive reinforcement training methods. That means lots of games, rewards and praise. You’ll have fun training your dog and importantly, you’ll love the results!
For your peace of mind, my credentials are:
- BA Hons Psychology & Politics (2:1) – 1998
- Office Manager & Recruiting Manager, London – 1998 – 2014
- Full Member of the Pet Professional Guild
- Accredited “Puppy School” Tutor
- Learn To Talk Dog Certificate – Sarah Whitehead 2014
- Signs Of Preemptive Aggression – Sarah Whitehead 2014
- “Think Dog Certificate” in Canine Behaviour – Sarah Whitehead 2014
- The Trust Technique – James French & Shelley Slingo, 2014
- Animal Communication – James French, 2014
- Animal Healing Practical Workshop – Liz Whiter, 2014
- Canine Communication Masterclass – Sarah Whitehead and Stella Bagshaw 2015
- APDT (Association of Pet Dog Trainers) – Level 3 Certificate in Dog Training Instruction 2015
- “Puppy Life Skills” – Lesley Buxton 2015
- Tomorrow’s Trainer – Kay Laurence 2015
- Scent Work Level 1 – Talking Dogs/Pam McKinnon 2015
- Clicker Expo – 2015
- Happy Recallers – IMDT (Institute of Modern Dog Trainers) 2016
- Play & Recall – Kay Laurence 2016
- “Play Master” – Kay Laurence 2017
- “Tracking” Workshop – Level 1 & 2 – 2017
- Chirag Patel Seminar – Canine Aggression & Puppy Play – May 2017
- Canine Separation Anxiety Seminar – Professor Daniel Mills – 2017
- The Border Collie Workshop – Kay Laurence – 2017
- Dog Tricks & Heel Work To Music – Kim Lyddon – 2017
Love learning …
To ensure I give you the most up to date and effective training methods, I attend regular training courses myself. Dog training, like any other field, is constantly evolving and by honing my skills, I help you develop yours.
Your dog is in safe hands
- Joyful Dogs is fully insured with Cliverton Insurance.
- Joyful Dogs is proud member of the Pet Professional Guild a body committed to science and results based, force-free training.
- Joy Matthews is DBS cleared.
- References available on request.